Archive Mode. Call Malibu Solstice Canyon Creek Beautification Project ended on 10/5/22, 4:00 PM. Call settings are read only. See Current Open Calls
Malibu Solstice Canyon Creek Beautification Project
SUBMISSION DEADLINE - Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 4:00 PM; early submissions will have priority.
In 2023, the California Department of Transportation (CalTrans) will begin construction on the Solstice Canyon Creek Bridge Replacement Project located at Pacific Coast Highway and Corral Canyon Road. The project will replace the existing bridge and culvert, allowing for proper drainage and improved hydraulic conditions for Solstice Canyon Creek. Additionally, the new culvert will facilitate the movement of the area's endangered steelhead trout population and serve as a pedestrian underpass to Dan Blocker State Beach with a public art component.
The Malibu Arts Commission is looking for an artist to create artwork for the newly constructed pedestrian underpass at Solstice Canyon Creek. The artwork will be no greater than 130' in length by 6' in height and should be constructed from durable material that is salt tolerant. The Clean California Program has provided a grant for the project, and artists should select a medium and theme centered around one of the following:
- Malibu's Marine Habitat
- Solstice Canyon Area
- Steelhead Trout
The selected artist will be notified by or before January 2023.
The selected artist must fully complete the artwork by June 2023.
All or part of the artwork will be displayed at a temporary location for public view from 2023 to 2026. The temporary display location will be within Malibu city limits and determined by early 2023.
The Solstice Canyon Creek Bridge Replacement Project is projected to be completed in 2026. At that time, the artwork will be permanently installed in the new underpass.
The selected artist will receive an advance of up to 50% of the project cost once it is approved by the City of Malibu to cover the costs of materials, supplies, and other direct costs. The remaining 50% of the project cost will be paid to the artist upon completion.
The project is open to artists residing in California. Priority will be given to artists residing in Malibu.
- Artwork will be selected based on the quality of the design. The artist's design must include elements related to the themes listed in the Project Description above. Artwork designs must be original and cannot contain text.
- Although the artwork will be installed in a shaded area within a pedestrian underpass, it will be subject to a harsh marine environment, including inclement weather, heavy wind, salty conditions, and other elements common to the Southern California coast. The artwork must be constructed from durable materials that are easy to maintain.
- The artwork will be displayed at a temporary and permanent location; therefore, the Arts Commission recommends creating or adhering the artwork to a portable/movable backing or material. The artist must include three (3) installation plans:
- Installation at the temporary display location
- De-installation at the temporary display location
- Installation at the permanent underpass location
- The artwork will be no greater than 130' in length x 6' in height.
- Depending on the material chosen, the artist must apply an anti-graffiti clear coat to protect the artwork upon completion and installation.
- It is the artist's responsibility to deliver the finished work to the temporary display location within the City limits. The temporary display location will be determined by early 2023.
- If required, the artist agrees to be onsite during the artwork installation at the temporary display location and permanent underpass location. The artist may also be required to attend City or CalTrans events, media events/previews, or other programs related to the Solstice Canyon Creek Beautification Project.
- Submissions of artwork that are overtly sexual, political, or religious in nature will not be considered.
Permanent Location: Solstice Canyon Creek Bridge Replacement Project is located at Pacific Coast Highway and Corral Canyon Road
Online submissions will only be accepted at SolsticeArt.ArtCall.org
Information about the project is located at MalibuCity.org/SolsticeArt
- Artist Information: Include name, physical address, email address, and phone number.
- Project Approach: Articulate design concept, anticipated maintenance requirements, estimated timing, and choice of materials (including manufacturer specifications; 600 words maximum).
- Project Proposal: Provide a visual design concept stating proposed dimensions, weight, fragility issues, and ability to withstand a salt air environment. Design should demonstrate the intended vision for the work but does not need to be final. The Malibu Arts Commission will approve the final design with the selected artist before the work begins.
- Installation Plan: Artist must include three (3) installation plans: installation at the temporary display location, de-installation at the temporary display location, and installation at the permanent underpass location.
Artist must include a budget for the project. Artist shall include all costs for materials, labor, transportation to the temporary display location, etc.
- Resume and References: Provide a current resume detailing professional artistic accomplishments, publications, collections, formal fine art education, and any art gallery and/or museum internships and employment. Artist shall include between a minimum of two (2) but no more than five (5) references with contact information.
- Image References: Provide digital images of relevant artwork (minimum of three (3), but no more than five (5), including the image number, owner (if by commission or direct sale), title, media, size, date, location (if applicable), description of the work, gallery representation (private or public collections), and awards for each piece. An artist statement is not required.
- Contract and Liability:
The selected artist cannot begin working on the project until all liability and contract forms are completed and submitted to the City and the design has been approved. Artists under 18 years of age must have all the required documents signed by a parent or guardian.
All submissions must be completed online at SolsticeArt.ArtCall.org by October 5, 2022. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
SELECTION AND COMMISSION PROCESS
Malibu Arts Commissioners will review the artist's qualifications, project approach, project proposals, and image references. Finalists may be interviewed by one or more Malibu Arts Commissioners.
During a Regular Commission meeting, the Malibu Arts Commission will determine and recommend the selected artist. The Malibu Arts Commission will recommend the selected artist to City Council for final approval.
The selected artist will be notified by December 2022, and award of contract will be completed by or before January 2023. The selected artist will be required to complete the artwork by June 2023.
The Malibu Arts Commission may request access or site visits during work production between December 2022 and June 2023.
Award of a contract for creating the artwork is contingent upon approval by the City Council. A payment schedule will be outlined in the Agreement.
The City of Malibu reserves the right to reject any or all applications, proposals, and finalists, waive informalities of applications or proposals, or terminate the selection process for the project without prior notice.